● Source: Civil Rights White Paper 2019
● Investigating organization: ANTI-CORRUPTION AND CIVIL RIGHTS COMMISSION
● Investigation period: Law enforcement ~ 2019. 12. 31
● Between the original implementation of the Public Interest Whistleblower Protection Act and the end of December 2018, a total of 33,452 reports were submitted to the ACRC. Public health violations, including production of harmful food products and sales of unlicensed medical products, were the most common type of report with 12,697 cases (38.0%), followed by public safety violations, including faulty construction and non-establishment of fire-fighting facilities, with 5,433 cases (16.2%).
● In 2018, the number of public interest reports increased by a large margin, because of expanded scope of protection for reporters, reinforced public relations customized for different groups of people, and efforts to raise awareness of the report system. By sector, the number of reports in the environment sector slightly decreased year on year from 2017, but the number in the sectors of health, safety, fair competition, and consumer interest showed year-on-year increase.